The memory of Agia Elessa is celebrated on the 1st of August. The view from the monastery is fantastic, especially at sunset, as it is built on one of the highest points in the south of the island. From the mountain of Agia Elessa one can see Melidoni beach and almost the entire island. The monastery is built at the place of Agia Elessa’s martyrdom. Elessa was the daughter of Elladios from the Peloponnese. She came to Kythera and became a nun as her father did not accept the Christian faith. He chased her in the island and killed her in 375 AD. The later single-nave church was built in 1871. In the years that followed the cells and the three-story bell tower on the northwest side of the monastery were added. Similar to the other monasteries on the island, many believers reside here during Dekapentismos.